Health officials stated that 636 people have reported becoming ill after they ate at the Pars Cove Persian Cuisine booth at the Taste of Chicago. More than 100 reports have piled in since Monday.
According to the Chicago Department of Public Health, 66 of the illness have been attributed to salmenellosis, and 41 cases were found to be Salmonella Heidelberg, which is a common form of salmonella. Now, 25 people have been hospitalized for their symptoms.
The Pars Cove restaurant has been investigated and health officials have ordered the restaurant to stop serving the hummus dish that is linked to all the illnesses. This has been the first foodborne illness outbreak for the Taste of Chicago in over 20 years.
For more information on this subject, please refer to our section on Defective and Dangerous Products.