Two people from Chicago fell ill recently after ingesting what they thought was monkfish. The fish is produced by Hong Chang Corporation of Santa Fe Springs, California, and it is believed that there were toxins present in the fish. The toxins are found in pufferfish and the company believes that the monkfish may have really been pufferfish. The company is now recalling the monkfish.
The toxins in the pufferfish can cause death, and they are not destroyed when the fish is cooked or frozen. The product was sold to stores in Illinois, California and Hawaii. The following information about the recall has been provided.
There are no lot numbers on the box. Labels on one panel read ”MONK FISH GUTTED AND HEAD-OFF PRODUCT OF CHINA”. A second box panel bears nutritional facts and the following, ”Ingredients: Monk fish; Imported by: Hong Chang Corp., Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670; Product of China (P.R.C.).”
If you believe you have become ill from eating the monkfish, keep any remaining packaging in a safe place and contact an attorney. You may be able to take legal action against the manufacturer.