An Illinois man who died on February 2, 2007, may have died as a result of ingesting peanut butter that was affected by the recent salmonella outbreak. The man died just three days after he ate a peanut butter sandwich that contained the recently recalled ConAgra peanut butter.
The death is the first reported in Illinois that relates to the salmonella outbreak. There have been other cases of salmonella linked to the peanut butter and the first case in Illinois was recently filed against ConAgra, the manufacturer of the peanut butter.
The peanut butter that the 77 year old man ingested is currently being tested for salmonella. If the tests are positive for the bacteria, a wrongful death lawsuit against ConAgra will likely follow.